Make it Easier to Get Around... Downtown’s system of one-way streets has changed little over the last two decades and does not function effectively today. The City completed a recent traffic study that addressed considerations such as conversion of one-way streets to two-way; intersection redesign; signal timing; and lane allocations. Additional key opportunities should also be considered including:
- conversion of Fourth Street from one-way to two-way travel;
- conversion of Washington Street from four lanes to three, incorporating a center turning lane;
- exploration of other one-way-to-two-way conversions;
- consideration of traffic calming/reduction of paved area in key arrival points to downtown; and
- increasing the sidewalk width on the Washington Street Bridge to enhance pedestrian safety/experience.